Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I'm Bringing Sexy Back!!

Ok, So I have been struggling all week as to what my latest and greatest blog was gonna entail. I'm pretty sure I have driven my Husband insane with running ideas by him and unless it involves the Military, the Military channel, History, or things of that nature I usually get the "that sounds great" answer, But when I brought up the subject of the Boudoir Shoot I did back in December...well that got his attention, lol!! What can I say my husband has great taste in women....well in A CERTAIN  woman...ehhhemm!! HAHA!! But seriously he has been one of my biggest fans when it comes to my Photography. Sometimes, though, he feels a little left out because I have not yet quite fiqured out how to balance my time. Sometimes, I find myself editing on days I had said I wouldn't and that takes time from him and the kids. So that I gotta work on, but he is still right there pushing me along, telling me not to give up when I feel like I am not getting anywhere or that I am not learning as fast as I think I should be. But we all gotta start somewhere right??

Anway, back to the Boudoir Marathon I did back in December. I decided this was going to be my topic  this week at the last minute because I had a few different subjects I had been bouncing back and forth from. But then I had a "lightbulb" moment when chatting with my new online BFF triangle, yes triangle because we are 3 and not quite a circle:-) I will get back to that "AHA" moment a little later first let me tell you a little bit about that day when I met 10 AMAZING women.

In December, I decided to venture into the world of Boudoir, not only to gain the experience,but I thought what a great gift for some very lucky men to receive. So I teamed up with a local stylist and makeup artist, booked a room, created the event, and before you know it the whole day was full and I even added an extra hour for extra women. I'm not gonna lie, the day got off to a rough start, the hotel was late getting me checked in which made me late in setting up the room the way I wanted, the first 2 girls were early and my stylist was late. So we had already gotten off to a hour late, but once the day and sessions started to roll, it wasn't long before I was in the zone and having a blast!!

The girls for the most part came in a little self concience and a little shy. But as we talked and they began the process of getting their hair and make up done, then moving into their outfits and after the first couple of shots and a whole lotta laughs, they relaxed and so did I. I was nervous too!! I wanted to make sure I portrayed these women in tasteful yet sexy ways and for them to feel fearless and confident in me as their photographer. I would take a few shots, say things like "OH MY GOODNESS GIRL!!" "OH,WOW!!" "YOU ARE ROCKIN' THIS!!" and then they became more and more comfortable. Even these girls that had one some might consider the "perfect" body type I found were the most insecure. It was my goal that day to make them realize that they were gorgeous inside and out!!

I was determined to get all the "Money Shots" so I think I climbed on every piece of furniture in the room that day!! We made use of the whole room! I had women of all body shapes,sizes,ages and ethnicity that day and it was one experience I will NEVER forget and I hope that the ladies that attended won't forget it either. I was especially touched by one of the last women I was able to have the opportunity to photograph. She was a beautiful woman in her 30's that was engaged, and as she began to tell me her story as she was getting dressed, she began to tell me about the journey she had been on for the last year. You see, she had Breast Cancer and had just 3 months before the shoot had opted for a double mastectomy. She warned me of the scars and asked if I would be ok and comfortable with shooting her bare breasted....SHE was ASKING ME if I would be ok with it!!! She had no shame or low self esteem about the scars, they were her reminder of what she had been thru and how precious life is and how incredibly strong she is. Her and I had so much fun during her session!! We laughed til we cried and then in a gentle moment in which we took a picture to use in a BC Awareness ad we cried tears, but they were mixed with the fragileness of life and the power to overcome. It was one of the most powerful and meaningful sessions I have ever had the privilage of shooting.

As each woman began to leave that day I got a tone of hugs and many many thanks from each of them and how they thanked me for making them feel fabulous and how considerate and fun it was to have had the opportunity to work with me, they were thanking me!! But really I am the thankful one because they inspired me to want to do more for women and making them feel like this! I had so much joy and greatfulness in my heart for having the ability to have such a session that I have been chomping at the bit to do more of these sessions. I knew I was going to have to raise the prices though because as much fun as I had had and as much joy that it brought to me and those women, I barely made enough to cover my expenses for the day, but it was totally worth it.

Which brings me to my "AHA" moment. I have joined a little triangle of my online bffs as I mentioned above and while reading ones blog last week about being able to reach those people who might not be able to pay for or have these types of experience that I think EVERY woman should have at least once in their life, I decided that I would have people, husbands, friends, family,co-workers, etc, write to me via email and nominate a woman they believe is deserving of a little pampering that may not take the time or spend the money on themselves to have a total day of beauty and have pictures to look back and remember the felling that they felt in doing so. I have had a few of the women that I photographed in December write to me and tell me how the session changed their lives and that they no longer have some of the self esteem issues they once had and those type of letters truly make my cup runneth over!! I have been looking for a way to share my little talent and love of the art and I cannot think of a better way the to give a woman...or maybe 2....this type of experience!!

So I am now accepting nominations from anyone and everyone who wants to nominate someone the know and love to receive this beautiful session. I am also VERY EXCITED to announce that I have a top notch makeup artist and stylist that has joined my team so for this marathon we are having in March is gonna be rewarding for not just myself but these women as well and its kinda gonna ROCK!!!

Well, thats all I got for this post stay tuned in because who knows what my next topic will be about!! LOL!! I leave you with some of my favorite shots from the December marathon.

XOXOXO
Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment